Wednesday, October 24, 2012


























Yesterday for the first time, I went to Mission Chinese, a Lower East Side hole-in-the-wall that was recently imported from San Francisco. Although all of the meatiest, spiciest dishes came highly recommended, I opted for the "Egg Egg Noodles." I am a sucker for a soft egg sitting on top of a warm, comforting pile of carbohydrates, and these were exactly that -- a bowl of chewy egg noodles, topped with a lightly-cooked hen egg, little bits of fried ginger and garlic, shreds of country ham, a pinch of chives, and a sprinkle of sesame seeds. You mix the egg into the noodles with your chopsticks, and the result is a gingery Chinese carbonara.

Less than twenty-four hours later, breakfast time rolled around, and I found myself craving ham, eggs, and ginger. A rice bowl was born, with salty bits of bacon, crunchy pieces of fried ginger and garlic and an egg, of course.


3 comments:

  1. Mmm, sounds yummy. I've had fried rice with garlic too many times to count, but never with ginger. Will have to give it a try. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This morning for second breakfast/first lunch, I had a similar dish but with sautéed cabbage in place of the rice...it was delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Annie, your readers want more of you! What have you been eating? cooking? dreaming about?

    ReplyDelete